Post-op Instructions after Scaling and Root Planing
It is not uncommon to experience mild discomfort after this procedure. The discomfort typically lessens within a few days. We recommend the following to accelerate the healing process and minimizing any discomfort.
- Rinse with Peridex as prescribed for two weeks after Scaling/Root Planing
- Rinse with warm salt water as needed throughout the day
- Ibuprofen or Tylenol may be helpful in relieving post-operative discomfort
The success of Scaling and/or Root Planing is largely dependent on adequate home care. We remove the toxins and debris deep underneath the gums to allow your body to heal and provide you access to better keep the affected areas clean.
- We strongly recommend following the oral hygiene instructions provided to you by your dental hygienist which includes brushing at least twice a day and flossing once per day.
- Often times, it is recommended to return for routine maintenance every 3 months after Scaling/Root Planing to assess and maintain the health of your gums. Your dentist and dental hygienist will help advise you on a maintenance schedule that is suitable to maintain your oral health.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at (253) 531-4074.